Back to school jitters? Not with me by your side helping you get back-to-school ready! Apart from the back to school makeup looks that you’re probably thinking about right now, your hairstyle is also instrumental in pulling off any look! I have 17 of the best and simplest back to school hairstyles for you today. From messy top buns to Victoria’s Secret-inspired hair, these hairstyles will get you glammed up and ready to take on another year. Ready? Let’s do this!
Back to School Hairstyles | Easy and Quick Dos to Try
1. Zoella’s Quick & Easy Hairstyles (4 in 1)Zoella’s Youtube channel always has the best of the best in makeup and hair. This tutorial features 4 quick and easy hairstyles you can complete in less than 10 minutes! All you need is a headband, bandana, bow, and elastic bands. Who knew you can do so much with these accessories?
2. DIY Pastel Unicorn HairNot all hair tutorials are about achieving updos and mastering braids. If you’re looking to change your look entirely (if only for a couple of weeks), try dyeing it different colors like Evelina! In this tutorial, Evelina uses Garnier Color Styler in Pink and Purple. Oh my, those pink and purple streaks look lovely on blonde hair!
3. Soft, Loose CurlsLoose curls have become one of the most popular hairstyles for young ladies. They are easy to recreate and give you an instant bombshell, ‘I Model For Victoria’s Secret On My Free Time’ look. The great thing about loose curls is that you can wear them by themselves, with a hat, or topped with a hair accessory of your choice. You don’t even need a curling iron for this one; your flat iron will do!
4. Running Late HairstylesLate for school? Don’t worry – we’ve all been there. We’ve got your back with these 3 easy hairstyles you can do for mornings when hitting the Snooze button is NOT an option. My favorite out of the 3 is the photo I posted above. All you need to do is section your hair half up half down. Take the half up section and tease to get that height and volume. Pin in place and then get two strands of hair from the side, twist them. and pin at the center.
5. Easy Sock BunBy now you’ve seen tons of sock bun tutorials, but this look is so easy to pull off and, when paired with a peter pan blouse and jeans, helps you look effortlessly polished. So how do you it? Get a sock and cut off the end. Rotate it until you make a doughnut shape. Tie the hair into a high ponytail and then insert the pony in the sock. Position sock near the hair ends and start rolling down while tucking hair in until you reach the end. Yup, it’s that easy!
6. 2-Minute Elegant Bun Hairstyle2 minutes for this hairstyle? It’s true. We couldn’t believe it at first either, but once we tried it we were amazed. This has now become my go-to look whenever I need to dash out the door in less than 15 minutes. Looks complicated? Not really. All you have to do is do a low ponytail, but leave two strands of hair (near the part and on the side). Turn the ponytail into a bun and secure in place. Get the hair strand on top and pull it in the direction of your part and twist it around the bun. For the hair strand on the side, pull it and twist it around the bun as well.
7. Lana Del Rey-Inspired HairSome days, you just want to get all dolled up. Even if you’re just going to school. For days when you feel like taking your look to the next level, try this Old Hollywood-inspired hair tutorial, aka The Lana Del Rey. All you need is a curling iron and the right curling technique.
8. Easy Fishtail BraidI’ll be the first to admit that I still haven’t mastered the fishtail. But if you’re adventurous and willing to set aside a couple of minutes to practice, this tutorial breaks down how to get a perfectly tight fishtail braid. This tutorial is ideal for beginners and I reckon, knowing how to do a fishtail braid is always a handy skill!
9. Half Up Top Knot HairstyleWe gotta give it up to one of the hairstyles that always makes us look like we at least tried to do something with our hair. I love the way this hairstyle looks on women – especially if you dress bohemian/rocker chic.
How do you pull off this look? Simple. Section your hair into two — half up and half down. Take the half up section and create a bun. You can go messy on this one and if you do, I suggest you tease the half down section a bit and also leave some strands of hair in the front for a more unkempt look.
Got a back to school party to go to? Try this brown and orange makeup look!
10. The Perfect Halo Braid For Short HairNever fear, short-haired beauties! We’ve got an easy tutorial on how to do an Around The World, aka Halo braid. This braid is beautiful, perfect for hot, muggy days, and utterly romantic. At first, it will take you longer to do the halo braid but with practice, you can do this with your eyes closed!
11. 3 Easy Tumblr-Inspired HairstylesTumblr’s become a major source of fashion and beauty inspiration, so it only makes sense that there would be a video on how to create Tumblr-inspired looks. In this tutorial, Jess creates 3 cute, braided hairstyles. And my favorite is the double Dutch French braid as you can see in the photo above. I like that it is simple, but undeniably girly too!
12. 3 90s-Inspired HairstylesWe don’t have to tell you twice how much we LOVED/LOVE the 90s. It was the best decade for hair, fashion, and makeup! If you feel as strongly about the best decade ever as we do, here are 90s-inspired hairspiration you can rock on your first day back. Cause seriously, you’re too cool for school right?
13. 4 Braided Back To School HairstylesBraids are having a big moment in hair right now – they’re romantic, versatile, and can be used to create so many different looks! If you’re into braids, you’ll love this hairstyle tutorial by Roxi. Roxi creates 4 different back-to-school looks and my fave is this rose braid! I love that it’s so easy to do too! You just take two strands of hair on both sides, braid them, and then tie the two braids together. Next, take the two braids and create a bun and it will magically turn into a rose!
14. Big Curly HairThis tutorial is dedicated to all every beautiful woman out there who has natural big curly hair. For some, it’s a curse as this type of hair can be very hard to manage and maintain. But I say, embrace it girl! Your hair is a rare gem. You just need to learn how to style it and you’ll be rockin’ the casbah all day every day! Truth is, you just need to use the right styling products and then dry your hair to get this big curly style! No wigs needed!
15. Messy Top KnotThe messy top knot is NOT the sock bun. We repeat, it is NOT the sock bun. The messy top knot is the ultimate lazy girl hairstyle, so rock this with pride and let the world know you woke up like that. I love messy buns because they’re so easy to do. All it takes is just wrapping my hair into a bun and securing in place…and then making a little mess out of it. Fun, isn’t it?
16. 10 Short Hairstyles
10 short back to school hairstyles in 8 minutes? Heck yeah! If you have short hair and need some style inspiration, check out this awesome video that features 10 different looks! Not many ladies can rock short hair, so if you do, take advantage of these awesome back to school hairstyles!
17. Braided PigtailsI can’t forget my go-to hairstyle in school especially on those days when I can only do my hair while on the way to school–braided pigtails! They’re so easy to do, just make two braided pigtails. But recently, I learned that braided pigtails look better if your hair is curled a bit and if you loosen up the braid afterward. Further, if you need other back to school hairstyles for medium hair, Thalita Makes has 6 more!
Do you need a new pouch for your pens? Make your own DIY Pouch with the help of MissDebbie Diy:
While summer break was fun, it’s time to get down to business and by business, I mean studying in style! There’s really no harm in going to school looking good from head to toe, from your hairstyle to your shoes. I think it’s always a great idea to feel good about yourself and present yourself the best way possible. Of course, it’s not every day that you’d want to look put-together and that’s okay! But on those days that you do, you can try these back to school hairstyles to keep your beauty game on point!
What’s your favorite back to school hairstyle from this list? Please let us know in the comments section below!
Got your hairstyle locked down? Now it’s time to check out this Cute Back to School Makeup Tutorial!
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in August 2015, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.