The thinnest skin on our face is on our lips, that’s why I always carry around a lip balm with SPF. Skincare is not complete without a treat for our lips!
Our lips don’t have melanin, which protects our skin from UV damage. The only way to protect your lips from the harsh summer sun is by applying lip sunscreen every two hours.
For your new skincare favorites, scroll down below!
Best Lip Balms With SPF This Summer 2020
Lip Balms With SPF 15
1. Carmex Classic Medicated Lip Balm | $2.74[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BL8znmSAZ8q/ hidecaption=true width=800]
The household name gets an upgrade to give us long-lasting protection.
The Carmex Classic Medicated Lip Balm contains SPF 15, enough to give you sun protection. Cocoa butter, camphor, and menthol team up to soothe and moisten your lips.
2. Burt’s Bees 100% Natural All-Weather Moisturizing Lip Balm | $4.39
From summer to winter, it’s in the bag – and I’ve got them in mine.
The Burt’s Bees lip balm offers physical sun protection SPF 15 without the white cast and water resistance for up to 40 minutes.
With olive and jojoba oil and shea butter, your lips will stay soft and supple in the hot summers and chilly winters.
3. Fresh Sugar Lip Balm | $32[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/CBx71qkhhvJ/ hidecaption=true width=800]
Did you know that sugar is a natural humectant than can keep your lips moist for longer?
The Fresh Sugar Lip Balm offers a natural, satin wash of color with SPF 15 sun protection. Meadowfoam, black currant seed oils, and grapeseed oil will soften your lips and protect them from sun damage.
With 17 shades (including a clear one), you’ll find a shade for each season and mood.
Lip Balm With SPF 25
4. Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm | $11
Here’s a lip balm your husband can get on board with, given that you don’t share the same stick!
Antioxidants and shea butter melt into your skin to protect your lips from windburn and the extreme temperatures.
You have six variants to choose from with each lip balm containing SPF 25 broad-spectrum protection from the sun.
Lip Balms With SPF 30
5. UV Lip Color Splash | $32
You can always count on Shiseido to give you luxurious formulas and rich colors.
The Shiseido UV Lip Color Splash SPF 30 lip balm gives us four sheer, but buildable and comfortable shades. Swipe on to soothe, protect, and moisturize your kissers. Re-apply every two hours to keep it that way.
6. Sun Bum Sunscreen Lip Balm | $3.99[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/CC3lGnNp1Sr/ hidecaption=true width=800]
Look no further than the sun authority, Sun Bum, as they provide us with a zinc-based and reef-friendly lip balm with SPF 30.
Zinc, vitamin E, and shea butter will provide a physical protective layer against extreme temperatures and the sun. If it isn’t exciting enough that the formula is gluten-, paraben-, and cruelty-free, you should know that it’s also hypoallergenic.
7. Vanicream Lip Protectant Sunscreen | $5.43[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/CBnmf77Fj1D/ hidecaption=true width=800]
This budget option doesn’t skimp out on sun protection, with SPF 30 and water-resistance for up to 80 minutes so you can play in the sun longer. Swipe on some Vanicream Lip Protectant 15 minutes before heading out to keep your lips defended and silky.
8. Khiel’s Butterstick Lip Treatment | $24
Coconut oil and lemon butter lead the charge in keeping your skin looking and feeling hydrated and nourished for 12-hours. The antioxidants from the lemon butter will protect your kissers from sun damage.
The broad-spectrum SPF 30 will protect the skin thin on your lips from harmful rays.
9. Aquaphor Lip Protect + Repair Broad Spectrum SPF 30 | $3.99[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B7xVwEgFdwo/ hidecaption=true width=800]
Squeeze on a bit of this lip balm with SPF 30 to protect, repair, and soothe chapped and dry lips. This is a great budget option packaged in a tiny, convenient tube.
Lip Balms With SPF 50
10. Supergoop! Shine On Lip Screen | $22
Packed with grape oil and sunflower oil, this lip screen will shield your kissers from the oxidative stresses from the sun. Used alone or as a topper over your favorite lip color, this balm will keep your lips looking and feeling fresh!
11. Sol de Janeiro My Sol Stick | $26[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/CCEVMsjHTVN/ hidecaption=true width=800]
Arm yourself with a balm from a brand that knows the sun like no other, Brazilian beauty leader Sol de Janeiro.
The My Sol Stick is perfect to use on tattoos and your face, not just your lips. It comes in a super convenient stick and leaves no white cast, just the right sunscreen to show off your glowing tan.
12. Banana Boat Ultra Sport Lip Balm | $2.99
Formulated with sports in mind, nourish and defend your lips caused by the wind or the harsh noon sun. The Ultra Sport Lip Balm is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, enough for a game of beach volleyball.
13. Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Color Balm | $69[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B9kufm8hE_o/ hidecaption=true width=800]
Stay pretty and protected from pollution, infrared radiation, UV rays, and blue light – yes it does that too.
This lip balm with SPF 50 is the be-all and end-all when it comes to lip sunscreens – did we mention you can also use this on your cheeks?
This is all the makeup and UV shield you need for your beach trip and is packed with antioxidants and minerals to keep you looking fresh.
Check out this tutorial from Colorful Canary to create your own homemade lip balm with SPF 30:
Lip balm with SPF is a tall glass of water for chapped and sun-damaged lips, especially in this hot summer weather! Protect the most sensitive skin on your face with our 13 favorites, and I swear you’ll maintain that healthy glow all summer.
Which product made it to your shopping list? Let us know in the comments section below! We’d love to hear from you.
- 12 Lip Tint Products To Achieve That Fresh Subtle Look
- Easy DIY Lip Scrub Makeup Tutorial
- Watercolor Makeup Tutorial Perfect For Summer
We aim to feature the best of the best in the makeup world, and maybe that can include you! CONTRIBUTE to us!