Almond upturned eyes are gorgeous eye shape that begs emphasis. Let’s talk about how to bring out these features!
Master the natural cat eye with these eye makeup ideas, tips, and tricks.
RELATED: Hooded Eye Makeup Tips and Ideas To Make Your Eyes Pop
Easy Tips to Enhance Upturned Eyes
What is an Upturned Eyes? Upturned eyes are a type of almond eyes where the outer corners lift higher than the inner corners. Because of its upward curve at the end, the lower lash line is longer and is great real estate for eye makeup!
1. Emphasize the Upward Lift[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B2O1uGtAHME/ hidecaption=true width=600] Makeup guides will teach you techniques to mask the lift of your outer corner. Makeup experts will tell you that makeup needs to emphasize our best features.
Upturned eyes are so beautiful, and eternally and naturally perky. Embrace this by accentuating the upward lift at the outer corner of your eyes. The focus of makeup for upturned eyes is its shape. With or without color, almond eyes are drop-dead gorgeous.
2. Keep it Rounded[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B2IWadjABG7/ hidecaption=true width=600] Yes, it is possible to over-emphasize upturned eyes and no, it is not a good look on you. Upturned eyes are also called cat eyes as the upward bend at the corners of the eyes occurs naturally.
When dealing with eye shadow and eyeliner, you don’t have to try too hard to flick the tail or the outer corner upwards. Most eye shapes will apply eye shadow flicking upward, outward, and extended, but for upturned eyes keep this area rounded. This will keep your eye shape balanced and symmetrical, while still showing off your upturned corners.
3. Draw a Vertical, Imaginary Line Across Your Upturned Eye[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ibzvXDDIn/ hidecaption=true width=600] When deciding your eye makeup look, imagine a vertical line at the middle of your eyes and focus the medium and deeper shades on the outer half. This will serve as a guide when deciding your color palettes and what techniques to apply.
Keep the volume of your eye makeup at the outer half, saturated at the outer corners.
4. A Deep Outer Corner Shade[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxpoz9gnKGQ/ hidecaption=true width=600] A deep eye shadow shade on the outer corner of your eyes will balance your eye shape and really open up your eyes! Blend outwards, following your crease and the shape of your eyeballs. Voila – you’ve mastered the smoky eye look.
Tip: Don’t forget to keep the outer corner rounded and not over-extended! This will detract from your sultry eye shape than emphasize it.
5. Diffused, Shimmery Inner Corner[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Mkhv9H62D/ hidecaption=true width=600] It’s all about balance and symmetry. Apply a shimmer shade at the inner corner of your eyes, giving this just as much definition and emphasis as your outer corner. This will create an illusion of symmetry and a well-balanced eye makeup look.
If you’re including plenty of shadowy colors in your look, a diffused shimmer shade will keep it from looking flat. This is how you introduce drama and depth to a dark look.
RELATED: Foolproof Glossy Eyes Makeup Tutorial For An Allover Gloss Look
6. Mascara for Upturned Eyes
Finish off your makeup with a few swipes of mascara on your upper and lower lash line. Don’t forget that with upturned eyes, always give your lower lash line plenty of love and definition! Mascara will open up your eyes, further giving you that wide-eyed look.
If you’re in a rush and don’t have time for a full eye look, you can get away with applying lengthening and volumizing mascara before heading out. Just don’t forget to work in the mascara on your lower lash line as well!
7. Apply Mascara From the Middle of Your Lashes
If you want to cop rounder eyes, apply a thick coating of mascara from end to end. To emphasize upturned eyes, concentrate your mascara from the midsection of your lashes towards the outer corner. Apply the same technique on your lower lashes too.
If you’re applying falsies, cut them in half and attach to your lash line. Congratulations! You now know how to do mascara for upturned eyes and the coveted fox eye look!
8. Your Lower Lash Line Deserves Its Own Red Carpet[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/Bte1wqoDKvt/ hidecaption=true width=600] It’s your elongated lower lash line and perky outer corner that gave you the beautiful eye shape. Celebrate its length by diffusing a taupe-colored shadow on your lower lash line and blending this with your outer corner shadow. Cop the same effect by lining the outer midsection of your lower lash line.
9. Colored Eyeliner for Upturned Eyes
A cat eye need not always be jet black – explore with color and watch your eye shape stand out even more! Reach for waterproof eyeliner and create a color block look on your entire eye or only at the outer corner, but always end it with wing shape.
A pop of color is another technique to highlight your features. Green-colored eyeliners are best for brown eyes, deep reds for blue eyes, while brown-eyed babes can choose from the rainbow.
10. The Eyes Have It[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJ5BLmHILN/ hidecaption=true width=600] Keep your face makeup nude or natural – the best makeup look for upturned eyes accentuate the eyes alone. A bold lip or saturated cheek color will draw away attention from your eyes. Choose natural shades for your cheek and lip color.
If you were going for a sultry, glamorous eye look, top off your lips with a high shine gloss. If you were inspired by T. Swifty’s iconic red lip, swipe on eyeliner and a few coats of mascara to have you looking 22.
Check out this video by Sephora to find out your eye shape:
Maybe it wasn’t your lack of skill that was keeping you from copping a celebrity’s makeup look – the problem may have been anatomical! There’s nothing to correct with upturned eyes, but instead, it begs to emphasized and highlighted.
Don’t let these tips confine you to single makeup looks, rather treat these as guides to enhance your eye shape. Now that you know more about your eyes, you can also virtually change them if that’s today’s mood.
Now go forth and show the world what your cat eyes are made of!
How drastically has your eye makeup technique changed since reading this article? How close are you to mastering your lower lash line? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below!
- How To Pull Off A Colored Eyebrows Makeup Look
- Which Eyeliner Shape Suits You?
- 11 Foolproof Monolid Makeup Hacks You Should Master
We aim to feature the best of the best in the makeup world, and maybe that can include you! WRITE for us!
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for the latest makeup, hair, and nail trends. Don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube Channel for cool makeup tutorials.
Leave a Reply