Out with the brass, in with the hue. We’ve lined up the best purple shampoo that will neutralize brassy tones to reveal your most lush and brilliant hair!
The color wheel extends its helping hand from skincare to haircare to bring us the ultimate solution to irksome brassy locks. Purple sits opposite to yellow on the color wheel, making it the best color to correct and neutralize yellow tones.
To resurrect sullied hair, continue reading!
In this article:
Best Purple Shampoo Your Hair Stylist Approves Of
Best Purple Shampoo | Below $15
1. Not Your Mother’s Blonde Moment Treatment ShampooSubscribe to a purple toning shampoo that will stand up to brass, but not your wallet. Apply this on blonde, platinum, or silver hair once or twice a week to combat and the dull and brass tones. Five minutes on your tresses will give you shiny and rehydrated hair in its wake.
It’s formulated without sulfates, making it a great hair care partner for all shades of hair.
2. eva nyc Tone It Down! Blonde Shampoo
Safe for colored and treated hair is the Tone It Down! shampoo which does exactly as it claims. Its luxurious blend of argan oil antioxidants and wild cherry bark will nourish and protect your hair without messing with your salon-fresh treatments. Work into a rich lather and leave on for five minutes for perfect locks every time.
3. Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shimmer Shampoo
This salon-favorite pick is the best purple shampoo for white hair – it’s salt and pepper, not cheese and pepper. Two washes with this purple shampoo will neutralize brassy tones on all hair colors. Blonde is blonde, and white turns to brilliant silver, nothing in between.
Because of its potent formula, begin by using twice a week to correct your color then cut down to once a week to maintain it. That is if you don’t want purple hair courtesy of your toning shampoo.
4. Nexxus Blonde Assure Shampoo
For when you ordered silver, not gold.
The Nexxus purple shampoo was designed with silver, platinum, and bleached hair in mind. The toning shampoo and keratin treatment in one will intensify your colored hair and leave flowing locks in its wake. Don’t be intimidated by the sulfates in the formula, this is safe for colored hair.
5. Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde Shampoo
This Paul Mitchell pick is perfect for all hair shades and color-treated hair, which spells wonder for beauties with highlights! Hair-loving nutrients will rehydrate dry hair and leave you with an intense shine. Replace the warm, brassy tones for cool ones by leaving this shampoo on wet hair for five minutes as often as you need.
6. Joico Color Balance Purple ShampooCount only on the Joico purple shampoo to be harsh on brassy and gold tones, but not your strands. It’s formulated to keep color from fading and to repair your locks while keeping it frizz-free. Enjoy salon gorgeous hair after every shower!
Best Purple Shampoo | Below $30
7. Pravana The Perfect Blonde ShampooBest purple shampoo for brassy hair, anyone? Get bang for your buck with this once a week treatment.
This one-hit-wonder will tone down your brass in just one wash! Its gentle formula will rescue your hair from being parched and lackluster while correcting your color.
Tip: Brunettes can also enjoy this shampoo to achieve a cooler toned lock. Blondes be warned that this powerful shampoo may leave your locks with a purple tint if overused.
8. amika Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde ShampooBrassy tones getting in your hair? Bust your brass with this amika purple shampoo!
Formulated for all hair types and textures, this purple shampoo will keep your hair tone cool and bright. Wild cherry bark extract will give you bouncy hair while avocado oil brings a burst of much-needed moisture. Keratin will repair and strengthen your strands so you can say goodbye to hair breakage and fallout.
9. Redken Color Extend Blondage ShampooIn the middle of your hair bleaching journey? Keep this shampoo in your arsenal to strengthen your hair in between sessions and to combat yellow tones to achieve a true blonde color. Citric acid will strengthen and protect your strands from the roots, while purple pigments will neutralize warm undertones.
10. Unite Blonda Toning Shampoo
With gentle surfactants forgiving on dry and damaged hair, tone down that brass with the Unite Blonda Toning Shampoo! A tall glass of water, this is the best shampoo for blonde hair weakened by bleach and dying chemicals. It will treat and revive your hair while giving your scalp a gentle cleanse for when you’re cutting down on shampoo days.
11. dpHUE Cool Blonde ShampooFormulated with silk proteins and hibiscus flower extract but without sulfates, this is your best bet for strong, blonde hair. Let your highlights glow with its brightening vegan formula that will bring back life and luster to your mane. If multiple visits haven’t resulted to the ashy tone you were looking for, you might find the answer in this bottle.
Tip: Not all shampoos formulated with sulfates are bad for color-treated hair. Pay attention to other key ingredients that complement each other to achieve its intended effect.
Best Purple Shampoo | Above $30
12. Kérastase Absolu Anti-Brass Purple ShampooThis is our favorite for damaged and heavily treated hair.
Packed with strengthening, skincare-staple hyaluronic acid and antioxidant-rich Edelweiss flower, the Kérastase purple shampoo will have you bouncing and flaunting your blonde hair in no time. Neutralize the yellow and enjoy as your hair reflects the warm glow of the sun, brightened but not brassy.
13. Philip B. Icelandic Blonde ShampoThis gentle formula works hard to combat brassiness just as hard as it works to strengthen your colored or chemically-treated strands. With neutralizing plum extracts to eliminate brassy tones and nourishing time-released botanicals, achieve rich locks with our luxury pick.
14. Oribe Bright Blonde Shampoo for Beautiful ColorThis purple shampoo bottle looks aesthetic on your shelf, and salon gorgeous on your mane.
This daily shampoo contains multi-UV protection and Swiss garden cress sprouts to protect your hair from day to day aggressors. The Oribe signature complex will defend your locks to extend the color of your hair, while its brightening complex improves your tone and luminosity every shower. This is the only shampoo you’ll need for all hair types, colors, and conditions.
Check out Brad Mondo’s tips on getting rid of brassy tones on your hair:
Keep in mind that one size hardly fits all, it will take time to find the perfect shampoo for your hair type, texture, and situation. But this list will definitely take the load off! Cop your new favorite purple shampoo from the list of ours.
I wouldn’t turn a hair if my platinum mane turned for the worse. I know exactly which purple products to turn to, and now you do too.
Which purple toning shampoo made it to your cart? Are we going drugstore or splurging on a luxury item? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below!
- How Often Can You Dye Your Hair Without Damaging It
- Freshly Applied Colored Hair Care Tips
- 11 Foolproof Monolid Makeup Hacks You Should Master
We aim to feature the best of the best in the makeup world, and maybe that can include you! WRITE for us!