If you love bold looks, you’re going to love these 2022 makeup trends!
Hot off the Runway: 9 Makeup Trends You Can Try Today
1. Mismatched Eyeshadowhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BzQxE8tg__I/
You won’t catch a lot of natural looks this year—2022 is all about taking big, bold risks with your makeup and the mismatched eyeshadow look is the perfect example of this. To cop this look, apply two different eyeshadow shades on each eye.
Pros choose two bold and contrasting shades of eyeshadow, but you can tweak the look to make it work for you. Instead of using two contrasting shades, you can try paying with complementary shades instead (think: violet and teal or yellow and orange).
2. Pops of Fluorescent Eyeshadowhttps://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_M0UsBoOj/
We weren’t kidding when we said 2022 was going to be bold. Pops of fluorescent or neon eyeshadow can wake up your everyday minimalist look.
If you aren’t a fan of going all-out neon, then this look is perfect for you. After applying your everyday eyeshadow nudes, add a touch of neon eyeshadow to the inner corners of your eye.
3. Watercolor Eyeshadow
The watercolor eyeshadow look is stunning, feminine, and ethereal. It’s striking yet soft at the same time.
To pull off this look, pros suggest adding some water on your brush before you dab it on your palette. Once you have some product on your brush, lightly sweep the brush over the lid.
When choosing your colors, think of your lids as a canvas. You can go monochromatic with this look and choose a single color or blend multiple shades together.
We’re seeing a lot of pastel and neon palettes with this look. Don’t be afraid to mix and match!
4. Rainbow Eyeshadowhttps://www.instagram.com/p/B38kv2rFOp6/
2022 is all about embracing color and the rainbow eyeshadow look is the epitome of this. Here’s what you need to do to recreate this look:
- Choose three complementary colors.
- Cover a third of your lid with a thick stroke of one color (it doesn’t have to be precise).
- Use a Q-tip to blend the top.
- Repeat this with the other two shades to complete the entire lid. You can also use a Q-tip to blend the area where the two colors would meet so that it looks more seamless.
- Repeat this step with the other eye.
You can make this look bolder by continuing the effect under your eyes. If you want to make it more subtle, you can keep the shadow closer to your lash line.
5. Pastel Eyeliner
2019 was all about bright neon eyeliner trends, so 2022 is going to tone it down a bit with pastel eyeliners. Here are a few tips to rock this look:
- Keep the rest of your look simple and clean. Avoid dramatic blush and overly curled lashes.
- Pick the right pastel shade for your skin tone. For example, try to avoid pink shades and opt for mint green if you have a reddish undertone.
- Pick eyeliner that has a satin and smooth finish. Don’t go anywhere near pastel eyeliners that chalk up!
This new makeup trend may seem strange for women who love dark eyeliners, but pastel eyeliners can actually help you achieve a fresh yet striking look. A swipe of pastel eyeliner against a neutral or single-shade eyelid can open up your eyes and add a refreshing touch!
6. Floating Eyeliner
Another eyeliner makeup trend for 2022 is the floating eyeliner look. Yup, Twiggy’s classic look is making a comeback and all the pros are having fun with it!
Just like its name suggests, instead of applying eyeliner on your lash line, you apply the liner on the crease of your eyelid. Once you figure out where that is (it’s different for everyone), simply use your eyeliner to draw along the crease arc.
Try to do it in one swift motion to avoid creating a jagged line. You can play with different eyeliners (and even eyeshadows) for this look!
7. Colored Mascara
Ladies, put your classic black mascaras down and get ready to have some fun with your lashes! If you’re too lazy to change anything else in your makeup routine, painting your lashes with colored mascara is a quick and easy way to stay on-trend.
Here are some ways you can incorporate colored mascara in your routine:
- If you want to ease into this trend, layer some colored mascara on top of your black mascara.
- For a subtler look, opt for darker colored mascaras like blue or green.
- For a bolder look, swipe colored mascara on your top and bottom lashes.
- Experiment with a monochromatic look and make your lips and lashes match.
- Pick a complementary eyeliner shade to go with your colored mascara.
Color mascara adds a fun twist to the simplest looks. It’s also an effortless way to make your eyes appear more awake.
8. Polished Brows
Last year was all about bushy and au naturale brows, but this year, we’re seeing a shift in brow trends. Instead of unkempt brows, we’re seeing strong and structured brows on the runway.
We’re not seeing fully made-up brows though. With clear brow gel, you can achieve structured brows with a natural hint.
9. Pink Lips
Bold red lips are a classic, but if you want to be trendy, switch it up with pink! Just like with reds, pinks with blue undertones tend to be universally flattering.
If you opt for long-lasting matt lipstick, don’t forget to hydrate your lips with some lip balm first. That way, your lips can stay soft, smoothe, and uncomfortable under all that color.
Another way to play with pink lips is to try the lip stain look. It may not be as bold as a full lip, but this barely-there lip look is undeniably pretty.
You can use your regular bullet lipstick to copy this look. Simply dab some lipstick on your fingers and apply it to the center of your lips.
Then lightly dab it outwards until you reach the edge of your lips. You can use a Q-tip to fade the edges some more.
The best thing about lip stains is that its low maintenance. It doesn’t really smear and you’ll rarely need to touch-up.
See the top 10 fashion & beauty trends in this video from MsMojo:
These looks may have originated on the runway, but you can totally tweak them to make them work for you. Try these stunning and bold makeup trends and make 2022 your most colorful year yet!
Which of these newest makeup trends are you dying to try? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!