Here are some of the most popular cruelty-free makeup brands that deserve your loyalty– because you can be beautiful with a heart.
Did you see the supermoon? Isn’t it amazing to be part of something that won’t happen again until 2034? I can’t help but be retrospective and think about my purpose, which is to help women, make good decisions not only in makeup but how to take care of themselves responsibly. This reminds me of one thing: cruelty-free makeup. Fact: we love makeup. But it is also a dilemma to find a quality brand that lasts long, has great pigmentation, and, most of all, doesn’t use animals for testing. That’s why I came up with this list for you.
Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands
17 Cruelty-Free Makeup Choices To Be Beautiful With A Heart
If there’s one thing I realized while making this list is that we do have more choices than, say, 10 years ago. That’s certainly a good thing because it means makeup companies are now seeing the importance of coming up with awesome products that are not harmful to both humans and animals. Best of all, these are truly gorgeous makeup brands and products! It’s certainly a win-win for us and the bunnies.
1. Urban Decay[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcL6cylxh9/ hidecaption=true width=625]
First on my list is one of my all-time favorite makeup brands. Urban Decay has changed the way I look at makeup: edgy, strong, and beautiful. As a cruelty-free makeup brand, they make sure their suppliers are not involved in animal testing. As an icing on the cake, they are vegan!
2. Kat Von D[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BK7W8cQjych/ hidecaption=true width=625]
Kat Von D’s makeup may look gothic or macabre (think Serepentina), but its commitment to animal testing is not. The fact they’re on PETA’s list of cruelty-free makeup brand is enough proof. Plus, they just recently announce that they’re 100% vegan! To top it off, they sell most of the best-selling products on Sephora.
3. Pacifica[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BKtqi3MhZfO/ hidecaption=true width=625]
Here’s why you’ll love Pacifica: not only is it vegan and cruelty-free, it also uses natural ingredients. It doesn’t contain parabens, peanut oil, or triclosan, which are no-nos when you don’t want to look old quickly. How’s that for taking care of yourself?
4. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics or OCC is one of those brands that believe animal testing is unfashionable, costly, and, most of all, unnecessary (and I believe so too!). They don’t even have beeswax in their list of ingredients!
5. Too Faced
One word: delicious. From their fun packaging to creamy and sweet-smelling makeup, it doesn’t come as a surprise while this is a fan favorite. They have recently been acquired y the Estee Lauder group, which means they’re definitely one of the best in the market.
6. ELF Cosmetics[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BMaEMk7h_wo/ hidecaption=true width=625]
I love ELF Cosmetics. It may not be as beautiful looking as the other makeup brands on the list, but it’s practical, functional, and effective. Just check out this review as an example. And for a very cheap price, you can already own a cruelty-free makeup!
7. Hourglass[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ9zv8Hj3R9/ hidecaption=true width=625]
Hourglass is known for their high-quality and luxurious makeup that comes in sleek packaging. And if you haven’t heard of it before, it’s probably because this brand does not retail in countries that require animal testing. That’s some serious commitment.
8. Wet n Wild[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BL877-AAtAb/ hidecaption=true width=625] Not yet vegan but working towards that route. (I say go for it, Wet and Wild!). But definitely, this is 100 percent cruelty-free and will never ever test their products on animals. Just like ELF’s products, they have makeup items that are dirt cheap but with pigments comparable to high-end makeup!
9. bareMinerals[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BJUK5t_hbQE/ hidecaption=true width=625] Who else loves their pro powder foundation? Raise your hand. Yeah, I know. Many of us do. It is a great makeup product for an amazing natural look. You’ll love their brushes too. They’re made out of goat and pony hair, which you should know by now doesn’t harm the animals in any way.
10. Smashbox[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BLAdlZoD8v3/ hidecaption=true width=625]
Smashbox has certainly put a lot of effort toward being a cruelty-free makeup brand, so much so it’s part of the European Partnership for Alternatives to Animal Testing. They’ve also pulled out of China, which is infamous for animal testing. Great for you, Smashbox!
11. Colourpop[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BMXPbHrAqIH/ hidecaption=true width=625]
I-LOVE-COLOURPOP. It’s become my go-to lippy when I’m out and about running errands. It feels so smooth and just pretty on my lips. The color also doesn’t fade very fast, so I don’t have to do a lot of retouches. And because it’s also PETA-approved, I love it even more!their collab palette with Youtuber, Shaaanxo. How about you?
13. Dose Of Colors[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BMZ7F7rBflS/ hidecaption=true width=625]
Love Dose of Colors? Then you’ll appreciate it more now you know that this brand is 100 percent cruelty-free. In fact, the makeup you’re using is vegan.
Don’t you love it when celebrities make the most out of their personal brand and sell us great, humane products? Just try Jeffree Star Cosmetics, whose highlighter was a huge hit during Halloween, by the way. It believes makeup is for us, not for animals. 🙂
15. Anastasia Beverly Hills[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BMAuJEtB8BM/ hidecaption=true width=625] While some of the products are not vegan as they contain honey and beeswax, they are cruelty-free. And since they’re found practically everywhere, there’s no excuse why you can’t have a cruelty-free makeup. Love them for their brow products and their eyeshadow palettes.
16. Nyx[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BwU0umfpwxf/ hidecaption=true width=625]
NYX being cruelty-free is actually pretty complicated. It is owned by L’Oreal, which sells products to China, which requires animal testing. But PETA says NYX remains committed
to keeping our furry friends safe, so this brand remains on the list for now.
You can say anything you want about the Kardashians, but you’ve got to give it to their youngest. Kylie makeup is the bomb! To make it even better, it’s cruelty-free. Saves you a lot of time looking for a great lip kit.
A lot of people think cruelty-free makeup has to cost a lot. But it doesn’t have to be. One, you can go for dupes or a drugstore makeup haul! Check out this really entertaining video from Kristen Leanne and get amazingly cool tips on absolutely cheap cruelty-free makeup brands:
Don’t you love the fact more cosmetics companies are going cruelty-free makeup? I love it! I know in the future our list will change and I hope even the luxury brands go that route too. In the end, we need more than pretty things in life. We also want them to be as sustainable. In the meantime, let’s do our part and try our darndest to pick only animal-loving brands.
Got more cruelty-free makeup brands in mind? It’s time to let me know about it by leaving your comments. Need more healthy makeup choices? Check this out!
Featured image via Tea Party Beauty