Every makeup junkie should know any eyeliner tips to ace the incredible winged eyeliner they admire! Learn some tips and tricks to make the perfect eyeliner for you!
17 Eyeliner Tips and Tricks
The Quest to a Perfect Winged Eyeliner
Winged eyeliner is such a major part of our beauty routine and the perfect wing is the icing on the cake. Some of us find applying an eyeliner very challenging, especially for beginners but when you’ve mastered the proper application, you’ll find yourself doing it all the time. Try these tips and tricks below.
1. Rimming the Waterline Trick
Waterline is the eyes’ inner rim where eyelashes are. Rimming the waterline means using an eye pencil to draw along the waterline. Pencil eyeliner works best for this technique.
This beauty tip solves the problem of smudging or running eyeliner makeup. People with hooded eyes opt for this method because this makes your eyes look more visible.
2. Eye Shadow Primer Tip
Eyeshadow primer prepares the eyelid for the eye makeup to stay longer. This resolves the issue of smeared eyeliner on oily eyelids. This beauty hack is also used for the lip to keep the lip liner and lipstick in place.
3. Triple Winged Eyeliner Beauty Tip
Get everyone’s attention by flaunting your triple winged eyeliner makeup.
You will need:
- liquid eyeliner
How to do it:
- Start by putting on concealer before applying eyeliner and eyeshadow.
- Choose from dark colored eyeshadow palette.
- Use pitch black dark liquid eyeliner to give a bolder statement.
- For an avant-garde look, draw out three dramatic winged tails from the outer corner of the eye.
- Finish it off with a volumizing mascara.
4. Scotch Tape Trick
One of the surprising makeup tips and tricks is using a scotch tape.
How to do it:
- Get an inch-long scotch tape and place it underneath the outer corner of the eye.
- This serves as your beginner’s guide to creating a straight wing.
- Using a fine liquid eyeliner, start drawing.
5. Spoon Trick
Nail that cat’s eye with the use of a spoon.
How to do it:
- In a diagonal direction, place the spoon’s handle at the eye’s outer corner.
- Using a liquid liner, draw the outer outline of the wing.
- Use the spoon’s tip to make a curvier inner outline of the wing.
6. Gel Eye Liner Tip
Gel eyeliner gives you more control over your eye makeup. For this choice of eyeliner, brushes are important.
Flat angular brushes work great for beginners and give more accuracy. If used the right way, these brushes can come up with a fine wing flick.
7. Colored Ombre Pastel Eyeliner Beauty Tip
— women world (@women_world_net) February 17, 2019
Ombre means the subtle gradient shift from light to dark shade. It has been a popular hair trend and is now adopted to eye makeup. For starters, choose two to three variants from the same basic color.
The order goes from darkest to lightest shade. Have fun experimenting with the style. You can either follow the natural eye shape or create fun designs on the eyelid.
8. Magnifying Mirror Tip
When doing eyeliner makeup, it is important for you to see the details. Makeup tips include getting the right magnifying mirror.
Its zoomed image of your face helps you know exactly where to apply eyeliner. Don’t forget to consider the proper lighting as well.
9. Monolid Eyeliner Tiphttps://www.instagram.com/p/BLKtrSvgzaf/
Monolid means single eyelid but not to worry, opting for a monolid eyeliner makeup should do the trick. Putting on a nude to light eyeshadow before applying eyeliner pops up the eyes. Use fake lashes to add more dimension.
10. Two Toned Winged Eyeliner Beauty Tip
By using two vibrant colored eyeliner, you can pull off this fun eye makeup look. Warm colors are more for spring or summer season. While cool colors are more for fall or winter season.
11. White Eyeliner Trickhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BhfEV57HQb0/
White eyeliner is a versatile beauty eye makeup which can come up with different eyeliner look. It makes a smaller eye shape look bigger with its highlighting effect. Use this before applying eyeliner or false lashes to make your eyes brighter.
12. Concealer Trick
Concealer acts the same way as an eyeliner primer but has a more tinted effect. It keeps both eyeshadow and eyeliner in place. This can also serve as a quick fix to eyeliner mistake.
How to do it:
- Use a flat angular brush, dip it on concealer.
- Dab it on the smudged area to cover it.
13. Upside Down Cat Eye Beauty Tip
Based from the name itself, the eye makeup idea is same as the cat eye but the flick comes from the lower lid instead. If you want a more sassy effect, this simple reverse eye makeup can make a lot of difference to the face.
14. Kohl Eyeliner Trick
Kohl eyeliner is pitch black and smooth textured eyeliner pencil. When placed close to a lighted flame, it will start to melt. When it does, it could give the similar effect of gel eyeliner.
15. Dotted Eyeliner Makeup Tiphttps://www.instagram.com/p/yTrjOiJ_IS/
Emma Roberts showed off the dotted eyeliner makeup trend. Think of Harley Quinn’s signature look with diamonds near the outer corner of her eyes. Aside from creating dots, you can play around with different shapes around your eyes.
16. Cotton Swab Trick
A cotton swab can be for cleaning out an eyeliner mistake or make a faded eyeshadow effect. To correct an eyeliner mishap, dip a cotton swab into an eye primer or concealer then dab on the spot. To turn things around for an eyeliner glitch, use a cotton swab to smudge the area for a smokey eyeshadow effect.
17. Glitter Liner Tip
There is a sparkle in your eyes. Turn heads with this dreamy look. Apply glitter eyeliner on top of the eyelids for an edgier look. Wear colored contact lenses and mascara to cap off the riveting look.
If you feel you need more eyeliner hacks as a beginner then watch this video from Tina Yong:
Winged eyeliner beauty tips can be overwhelming. Gel liner, pencil eyeliner, and liquid eyeliner have different effects but with patience and practice, you can slay with it in various eye makeup look. Follow these tips and tricks to get the perfect eyeliner for a complete makeup look.
Which of these eyeliner tips have you tried and are going to try? Let us know in the comments section below.
- How to Contour Your Eyes Based on Eye Shape
- Which Eyeliner Shape Suits You?
- 25 Of The Best Full-Coverage Foundations
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published on September 25, 2017, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.